Microsoft Teams, which is part of your Microsoft EES Subscription, can be used for collaboration via chat or Video Conferencing. This simple guide will outline the steps needed to set up Video Conferencing between participants via Microsoft Teams on a mobile device such as an iPad.
Ensure that you have the Microsoft Teams app installed on your device. If you have a managed infrastructure it is likely that it is installed. If not, it can be downloaded free from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
Make sure that you are logged in to Teams using your Office 365 email login details.
- You will be asked to sign up or sign in, please select the Sign in button
- If you are already signed into Microsoft Office 365 with another app your email address will be displayed and can be chosen otherwise:
- Type in your Email Address
- Click Sign in
- If asked, please type in your email address password
- Click Sign in
- You will now be logged into Teams. During sign-in you may have been asked to allow for Audio and Video access please allow this otherwise you will not be able to use video conferencing.
Starting a video call
To start a call with someone:
- At the bottom of the screen click Calls
- If you are asked to allow access to contact choose Yes if a school iPad and choose Yes if your own device only if you are happy for Teams to have access to your personal phonebook.
- Near Top of the screen to the right of the call list above voicemail click on the handset icon with a + sign next to it.
- In the search box type in the name of the person you want to call. Their name will appear in the search box.
- Click either the icon of a camera for video call or icon of a phone handset for voice call.
- If asked, click ok to allow access to the camera and/or microphone.
- The call will be attempted, you will see yourself onscreen. Once the connection is made your image will disappear to a smaller image and the person you called will be visible.
Multiple users on a call
Others can also call you or the recipient to add to the call, a video of each person in the call will appear.
It is advisable that before a meeting, an agreement is made with all recipients that one person controls the meeting and all others call in to that person to join the meeting.
Please bear in mind that all participants in the meeting can be heard or seen, this will potentially include others in the room being heard and other areas of the room being visible. Please bear this in mind before joining the meeting. It is advised that a quiet room is set aside for video conferencing and that any items that could make yourself difficult to hear such as TV’s or radio are switched off and any items you do not want visible such as confidential paperwork are removed from line of sight of the camera.
Access via the Teams Web or Desktop app on a PC
Creating a video conference on a PC is very similar to that of the app on a mobile device, menu options are the same. Unlike a mobile device however please ensure that you have a built-in webcam or that your add-on webcam is plugged into the PC and is working.
Last Update: April 14, 2020